- 1-1/2 cups dried pinto beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
For the vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup malt vinegar ( or any other vinegar of choice)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the pintos in a large pot and cover with fresh water. Bring to a boil. Then cover and simmer the beans for 45-60 minutes, or until the beans are soft. Drain the beans and rinse under cold water until fully chilled.
- Combine malt vinegar, dried basil, dried oregano, minced garlic. Beat in the olive oil gradually until well mixed. Check seasonings and add salt and pepper, if desired.
- Pour dressing over the warm beans and mix until well coated. Add the chopped tomatoes, peppers, cilantro and onions and toss well.
- Chill the salad for at least one hour or overnight before serving.